Blog about Comments

Hey, if you're reading this thing because the crap I write actually interests you, then thanks! If you're doing it to kill time, then I can think of a whole lot of better uses than this. Heck, I don't even get a sympathy read out of my own mother for this thing....

But if this stuff does spark some thought in your gray matter, why not make a comment on it? I sometimes feel like I am sending thoughts into the inter-nether-world, until someone prods me with a thought. I know that there are a lot of folks out there who think that the goings on in a winery and vineyard are fascinating. In fact, I'm one of them. It's why I write the blog. (Also as part journal, because my memory's awful.)

And most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about. Of course, that's in the big picture. Most of my colleagues don't know what they're talking about either. I just happen to admit it. The idea of growing grapes and making wine for a living is still kind of crazy. I mean, most of us know how to keep grapes clean and how to run a fermentation. But when it really comes down to making wine, as in directing it to a specific, high-quality end, there's really not much we can do. We're just along for the ride.

I mean, we can force the wine to go down a certain path, but it usually ends up barely resembling wine. Winemakers, in the words of my friend John Crouch, should actually be winesitters. And it's a whole lot easier to sit on something and not do anything than to be proactive. Especially when you're not sure of exactly what you want.

So, there you have it. We make good wine here at Allegro. Some day we'll make great wine. But that'll take years of my connecting the dots between the vintages and figuring out how to finesse the last final details. I'll probably figure it out right as one of my boys tries to kick me out of the driver's seat here.

But I digress. I'd appreciate your off-the-wall comments if you had any.

Comments

  1. Allegro, My favorite wine! It is so amazing to live in Brogue and to have witnessed all the wonderful things you and your team are doing. I love seeing the stand at The New Eastern Market on Friday, in Browns, as well as Central market. When I go to Seven, I see the delicious wine available there, it makes me smile. It is like having an old friend and great memories at your finger tips. Thanks for sharing about the old barn. It will be missed, a landmark of much history.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

By posting on here, you are guaranteeing that what you say here is worthwhile and worth saying. And something that you would say in the presence of your mother. If not, I will be forced to remove it.