The End of Harvest


This one was tough.  Although I probably write that every year to some extent, I really think this one was something else. 

Every year is different for us.  The years when the rains come makes it doubly difficult as winemakers to create magic in the cellar.  We have to be extra creative while at the same time knowing full well that all of our efforts won't create the beauty we hoped for back in the spring.

But then when the year is beautiful, we work extra hard because we want to make the most of what Mother Nature has granted us.

This year started out like a tough one, where we fought all sorts of weather issues all the way through August.  I thought it was going to take some real miracle to have nice wines in the cellar from 2013.  But then September blessed us with the best weather I've ever seen for that month.  The vintage turned on us in a good way, and we were staring a beautiful vintage down both barrels.  We did an about-face in our cellar strategies and started going for broke.

This was the start-and-stop-and-start-wait-no-go-then-slow-down-then-run-flat-out year.  And I loved every minute of it.  There are parts of it I didn't like, but that doesn't mean I didn't love it.  Those of you with kids will understand.

Comments