Moving On

Dealing with our early budbreak put us a ways behind.  Not that that's anything other than normal at a vineyard--or any other part of my life for that matter--but we were just ahead in being behind, if that makes any sense. We've finally found our groove and are starting to feel under control in the vineyard.

A couple weeks ago we finished a bit more planting.  We have some spots in our Merlot that never took well with our first planting back in 2005.  I never did figure out what caused it, but I have a feeling it was a combination of a bunch of things.  First and foremost being that the nursery I bought the grafted vines from undoubtedly sent me a mixed bag of vines.  The weak ones have died out, but the rest are doing fine.

Don't ever get me started on grapevine nurseries--or printing companies....If I ever did my life over again, I'd head to one of those fields where there's a lot more tolerance for....well, a whole lot more tolerance for everything.

The grapes are looking well so far.  This cooler weather we've had has kept the vines in check for the most part.  We're still ahead of most years' timetable, but not as far as we could have been if we'd had anything close to normal weather since that heat spell in early April.  I've been watching the pattern of temperatures for the last month or so, and we seem to be starting out a lot like 2002 did (my first year here at Allegro.)  And if 2010 is anything like 2002, I'll be happy.

Comments