It's started...again....

What's strange is that every year before harvest, I worry that I won't be able to make wine this year. That this will be the year that the yeast and grapes don't get along, and I fail miserably. I worry that the wines will taste awful, it'll all be my fault, and I'll have to go back to the real world and a real job.

This happens to me every year. Yes, every year.

So, on Wednesday we started harvesting our grapes. The early varieties (Cayuga and Traminette) were the majority that came in. The Cayuga is destined for our Brogue Blush, and some of the Traminette will end up in a white Nouveau (I think...you heard it hear first, but I might change my mind.) We also brought in our Pinot and Chelois for our regular Nouveau, as well as some Chambourcin for a Rose. (I know what you're thinking, "Rose?" Yes, Rose, damn it. I love the darn stuff. Just like Riesling. And I make what I like, but that's for another post....)

So, after a couple of days of processing fruit and juice, we now have the first wines of the 2009 vintage percolating away in our tanks. And the familiar smell/sensation of CO2 permeates the winery. Aahhh, harvest. As a kid, I used to love the summer, for obvious reasons (no school, sunshine, no school) and didn't like fall (school started) or winter (cold, school still going on) or spring (school). But now summer is just a prelude to fall. Man, I love it.

Comments